Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Olympic Obsession

I have returned to reality, but I'm not too disappointed--the Olympics have kept me entertained. I can't help it--I turn on the TV, and I just soak up every little nugget of trivia. Yes, add the Olympic games to my ever-growing list of obsessions. I'm sorry to say that my cooking is nowhere near as exciting as the meals I enjoyed over the weekend. Maybe I should try some new recipes to spice things up? Send any recommendations my way.

Monday
It was around lunchtime when we returned home from the airport. I was hungry but totally not in the mood to cook anything. After rummaging around in the fridge, I salvaged some rice and beans, strawberries, and a salad. Those are BBQ soynuts on the salad. This did
not satisfy.
By dinnertime, my creative juices had returned, so I tried my hand at a Mexican-inspired tofu dish. I made a sauce out of low-sodium V8, cumin, chili powder, garlic, lime juice, S + P, and cilantro. Then I baked the tofu for 10 minutes, flipped and stirred, and baked another 10 minutes. It turned out alright, but I don't think I'll repeat this dish. On the side, I had some toasted corn tortillas (cut into triangles) dipped in guacamole (made from avocados on their last legs!).
The shake of the evening made up for my mediocre dinner, however. Good thing I decided to freeze our bananas before we left--they make such excellent additions to shakes and smoothies.
Tuesday
Upon waking to a drizzly and gray morning, I decided that it would be a warm breakfast kind of day. Since I had OD'ed on oats over the weekend, a grilled breakfast sammie was in order. This one had the last of my almond butter and sliced banana. I also enjoyed a container of Fage with my new tiny spoon from Crate & Barrel.
The soggy weather continued into midday, so I had another rainy day meal for lunch: Health Valley Split Pea Soup, Ak-maks, spinach salad with local tomatoes and Snacktrition Fiber Cashews, plus freshly cut honeydew. Tasty.
I used a repeat recipe for dinner, Edamame Pesto from Food to Live By. I tossed it with whole wheat radiator noodles, mushrooms, red onion, and broccoli. I also had a side salad and a travel mug of chocolate almond milk. Can you tell I like anything related to cherries?
The smoothie last night was fabulous! Frozen cherries pair well with the PomegranPlus granola.
Wednesday
I took advantage of a little extra time this morning and put together another breakfast parfait. I am out of muffins (!), so I used some of the never-ending Weetabix with plain organic yogurt, blueberries, walnuts, and some more of the Bear Naked Native granola. I think eating it with a little spoon makes it taste better.
Today's lunch was a bit of a flop. I started out making scrambled tofu but decided I wanted to use broccoli as a mix-in (shocker!), but the veggie-tofu ratio got out of hand. As a result, I didn't taste much of the tahini's creaminess; the garlic and poultry seasoning were a little too subtle too. A spinach salad and fresh cherries rounded it all out.
I'm off to read a bit...or maybe check on the Olympics. Ciao!

17 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I too am obsessed with the Olympics and cherries :0)

Mmm, the beans & rice dish, grilled banana/nut-butter sandwich, and of COURSE the shakes look and sound divine - yum!!

Nicole said...

I am also obsessed with the Olympics! I have been staying up all night to watch them. It's actually kind of embarrassing! My roommate's think I'm insane when I complain or cheer at 3 a.m.

Edamame pesto sounds so good right now!

Unknown said...

I stay up SO late to watch the Olympics...I'm addicted! :0) I love how you ate the rice and beans- as a mix in...I just bought a can and have been wondering what to do with it all! The breakfast sandwich looks diiivine...grilling sandwiches just makes it taste so much better!

Anonymous said...

I just caught up on your posts. That was so sweet of you to post the baked bean recipe. I am new to the world of beans- what type of bean typically is used for baked beans?

I saw something on the today show about a guy at duke who cooks from his apartment gourmet meals. I don't know if you heard about him. He said he is more infamous than famous on campus- not sure why though. Anyway, it made me think of your blog :)

Looks like you had a great time in chicago! What was the unflavored dessert box and the vegan packet you bought at WF? They look interesting. Sorry for the super long comment!

Anonymous said...

Yay for mini spoons! I'm eating my rice pudding with one as I type this comment to you! They really do make everything better :o)

The edamame pesto looks so good! I love the close-up picture with the noodle and chopsticks. I really wish I could eat with chopsticks, haha.

And I am obsessed with Olympics, too. I've been going to bed waaay to late this week, and I'm starting to feel it. But I decided that it's worth it because watching it live is so much better than hearing about it later.

Especially when you're watching Michael Phelps ;o)

ChickPea said...

VeggieGirl: Hmm your comment made me want to eat a bowl full of cherries while watching gymnastics...
SweetPotato: Met too! I just can't tear myself away until all the medal ceremonies of the evening have taken place. It's probably a good thing that the Olympics last just two weeks...otherwise I would be chronically sleep-deprived.
Allison: Agreed about grilling sandwiches...the George Foreman is magical!
Lauren: You are so welcome! Typically, people use navy beans, Great Northern beans, or any other small white bean for baked beans.
Thanks for bringing my attention to that story. It turns out that Bryan was co-chair on the dining committee with me. So yes, I do know him pretty well--he couldn't believe that I can live without foie gras!
For anyone else interested in the story, here is the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21696705/
The items you mentioned are a packet of Vega protein powder (they don't sell this near me) and a box of unflavored Jell-O like dessert. Gelatin-free Jell-O is quite qlusive, so I decided to pick some up with no specific plans for it.
Eating Bender: What color are your spoons? I have just the white and blue ones, but I notice that they have green and red ones online. I might have to order some of those to complete the collection...
I took that picture because I really like the shape of the noodle--I had never cooked with "Radiators" before.
PS I am a total Phelps Phan too!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for a good jello type thing that does not have all the added fake stuff.. I use to make smoothies with Jello and powder milk and they would be super thick and shake like. Do you know where you can get it from>?

Kimberly said...

I'm loving the Olympics... Phil Dalhausser and Ryan Lochte are both from my hometown! Florida represent :D

If you're looking for new recipes, maybe you could play around with various soups or stews! There's so much room for versatility... maybe try using V8 as a base?

newcitygirl said...

OK, this is going to sound super creepy, but I knew exactly where you were in all of your Chicago pics! (for some reason that just sounds like "ooooh, I was watching you..." but anyway.) You went to the WF right by my house and I just went to that TJ's yesterday! I'm so glad you enjoyed the Chicago Diner too, as well as the rest of your trip to the windy city!

Ruby Red said...

I'm Olympic-obsessed, too. Or maybe more Michael Phelps obsessed... It's hard to tell the difference. :)

Your new spoon is cute! I can't wait to hit up Crate & Barrel very soon -- it's been too long since I've been there.

I think my favorite parts of this post are your cherry travel mug and the grilled breakfast sammie. Yum!

Emma said...

mmm I love weetabix- I have never made a parfait wih it though, I tend to like it mushy (ie eith lots of soya milk!)

Mmm broccoli and tofu is always a fab combo- yum yum!

Anonymous said...

I just looked at crate and barrel they really are expanding their line-haha!

Just curious, why is he infamous on your campus?

Jenn said...

I love cherries, too. There is seriously not a better snack.

And, I'm a first time visitor on your blog, so maybe you've discussed this before...but fiber cashews? How do you add fiber to a cashew? I have never heard of such a thing!

--Jenn

ChickPea said...

SportsNutritionLiving: I know that Whole Foods sells organic pudding mix if that is the sort of thing you are looking for. I have forgotten the brand name, but I know it is also available at foodfightgrocery.com as well.
Kimberly: I had no idea that there were so many Floridians at the games..cool!
Good idea on the soups and stews.
NewCityGirl: Nah, that didn't sound creepy, you just sound knowledgeable. I can't wait to come back to your city!
Ruby: Yes, I have much affection for Phelps too--he's just so lovable and awesome.
Emma: I like my Weetabix nice and soggy too--it actually gets pretty mushy when you combine it with yogurt/soy yogurt.
Lauren: I'm not really sure why he said he's "infamous," but I'm guessing it's just because he has a sort of derelict personality.
Jenn: Welcome to the blog! I'm not sure how they add fiber to cashews (I think they already have some fiber anyway), but I got the Snacktrition items as free samples, so I figured they were worth a try.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea for a blog (this is my first visit). I especially love how you got your name for your blog, that's really funny!

Erin said...

I love how the radiatorre pasta gets pesto in all the little spaces. Yummy!

ChickPea said...

Monica: Welcome to the Broccoli Hut! I'm glad to have you as a reader, and please leave comments--I love reading them:)
Erin: That is precisely the reason I chose the radiatorre--perfect vehicle for pesto.