Friday, March 21, 2008

One Down, Five to Go

I successfully made it through my first week after spring break...only a few more weeks until summer! I am ready for the warm weather and more importantly the fresh fruit and vegetables! In my opinion, there is almost nothing better than spending a morning at the local farmer's market. Until then, I will make do with campus fare...

Here is another glimpse of the offerings at some of the eateries at my university:

This is the Bean Taco Salad, ordered sans cheese and ranch dressing. I always request black beans instead of refried a) because the black beans are vegetarian and b) because black beans are probably more healthful than the refried. This restaurant has a great salsa bar with several different homemade varieties. You can bet I get my money's worth out of that! For this salad I chose pineapple salsa, pico de gallo, and classic red salsa. All spicy, the way I like it! Underneath the beans are some lame iceberg lettuce and tortilla chips that are always too soggy by the time I get to them. To round out the meal, I had an orange and a few pistachios.

Thursday

As I mentioned in my last post, I had another meeting last night from 6 to 11...well, let's just say I didn't get back to my dorm room until approximately 12:30. Despite the late night, I was well-fed due to a little planning. I packed my dinner for the second night in a row. Thanks for all your suggestions--I will keep them in mind for next time:)




I packed a pretty simple spread: two whole wheat mini-pitas with natural PB and jam, a tiny can of low-sodium V8, a baggie of roasted soy nuts, and an apple. Tasty treats! A note on the jam: I just discovered this brand at Whole Foods called Bio Naturae--no added sugar or chemicals, and each tablespoon (of the raspberry variety) provides 48% of your daily needs for vitamin C!


Friday
I visited another campus eatery today for lunch. This cafe specializes in Asian cuisine, although it offers a random assortment of American dishes as well, such as omelets, smoothies, and burgers. Typically, I order off the Asian menu, however, and I always take advantage of their fresh fruit offerings. Today I ordered some steamed vegetables with garlic-shiitake tofu. I added some Bragg's Liquid Aminos when I got back because I wasn't really feelin' the duck sauce or insanely salty soy sauce.


Well, now I am off to enjoy my Easter weekend. Unfortunately, my university does not give us a break from classes for the holiday, so I will be away from family again this year. I am sure I will find a way to celebrate...What are your favorite dishes to prepare for Easter or for spring in general?

8 comments:

J said...

I bet you ARE looking forward to summer, I know I sure did (and stil do! I work at a university and I love it when the students are gone, the staff has the campus to themselves!).

Looks like you manage to find yourself some tasty looking grub on campus. I'm impressed with the vegetarian and vegan options we have at the dining facilities here at the University of Missouri - Columbia, they denote on their menus (with a carrot of course) their vegetarian/vegan options. I don't eat on campus too often as I bring my own lunch, but there is always something to eat when I do.

Good for you being prepared with food on the run! Nothing sucks worse than being out late with no food! By the time you get home you are so famished and even feeling sick from hunger!

I am jealous of that fruit! Cantaloupe is my favorite fruit! And honeydew rocks too.

Mmmmm that broccoli and cauliflower. I need an afternoon snack, send some my way. :-)

Spring is the best time for asparagus anything, greens anything, and berries anything. For Easter, I am going to make some variation of the carrot cake cupcakes I've seen flying around the vegan blogosphere.

Happy Easter! (and sorry for the super long comment!)

Anonymous said...

I love going to Farmer's Markets!! I can't wait for summer.

Your bean taco salad looks amazing. Very good for cafeteria food if I say so myself.

gc said...

mexican food= yum!
I think black beans taste better too anyways : )

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

I use that SAME fruit spread! don't you love it!

Ruby Red said...

I liked reading about what you typically choose to eat on campus - and seeing your adorable little packed lunch! I've seen those mini pitas at Whole Foods before; they'd be a really great on-the-go meal component. Yay! I hope you thoroughly enjoy your Easter. :)

Kristin said...

Oh, how I wish any of our on-campus establishments offered tofu (besides the gross watery stuff at the dining hall...)

I tagged you on my blog, go for it!

Meredith said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bionaturae fruit spread my roommate me hooked on the mixed berry!

ChickPea said...

Ruby: I'm glad you like the campus fare. I think it's possible to survive as a vegetarian on campus food, but I think vegans would have real problems here. I have considered veganism, but I don't think I could get adequate nutrition as long as I am in my current living situation. The mini-pitas are great! I use them for pre-workout fuel as well.
Kristin: I hear you on the tofu. Normally, it's not available on campus, but since this place was specifically Asian, they offer tofu occasionally. The stuff on the salad bars is gross--it's like a water-logged sponge!
HH and Meredith: Yay for fellow Bionaturae lovers! I will have to experiment with other flavors. At the rate I am going through it, I will need a new jar soon!