Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sitting, Waiting, Wishing

In the midst of this miserably rainy day, I cannot help but channel my inner Jack Johnson; I am sitting, waiting and wishing--for spring break. In precisely 15 days, I will be headed for a weekend of fun in DC (where I will dine at Nora and Rock Creek), plus several days of relaxation at home (where I will participate in this 5K). My motivation for schoolwork is waning, but I've still got two tests and a paper separating me from my freedom. Wish me luck in the upcoming weeks!

What are you looking forward to these days?

At least I have my cooking to distract me from the monotony of classes...

Monday
Although the dining committee had intended to dine out at a local Mediterranean place, that plan somehow crumbled. To be honest, I was a bit bummed. Instead, I grabbed a quick salad from the salad bar to which I added my own navy beans. I also made a pesto potato salad, as inspired by Ellie Krieger. I used that pesto in a tube again, and my love for pesto grows each time I use it. Anyone have a good recipe for homemade pesto?
I opted for a classic combo for the smoothie: strawberry-banana. Never fails to satisfy:)
Tuesday
I found myself with a little extra time yesterday morning before class, so I decided banana fingers would be a good breakfast option. I dipped banana in plain yogurt, then rolled it in crushed Peanut Butter Pows cereal. That's Sunbutter on the side--perfect consistency for dipping!
For lunch, I tried out one of my new TJ's finds, Low-Sodium Butternut Squash Soup. This soup tasted notably sweeter than others that I have tried, likely due to the absence of salt. I played up the sweetness factor by adding a dash of cinnamon and handful of pecans. Along with it, I had a grilled hummus sandwich, greens, and peaches.
Last night was pasta night for me. I made a quick puttanesca sauce out of tomato sauce, basil, oregano, minced garlic, ground red pepper, and olives. I added white beans for protein and poured the goodness all over some whole grain angel hair pasta. I had a salad with red bell pepper strips as well.
Last night's smoothie was a new delicious combination for me: strawberry and mango. Let's face it: I'll eat anything with mango in it.
Wednesday
In contrast to yesterday morning, today I was running short on time, so I whipped up a quick Banana Bread Blender. This rendition included frozen banana, GoLean, spelt flakes, soymilk, cinnamon, vanilla, and cashews. I just love this stuff--it's like good-for-you pudding! You're a genius, Katie.
Given the present weather conditions, all I feel like doing now is changing into my H&M lounge pants and red fuzzy slippers. What's your relaxation uniform? Are you a fan of sweats or yoga pants? We all have our individual lounging preferences, I think:)

Enjoy your Wednesday!

17 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

What I'm looking forward to = surviving this grueling semester.


Check out Giada's pesto recipes on Food Network's website!!


I'm obsessed with your Tuesday breakfast!! So holy yum and clever.


I live in my yoga pants :-)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Awwww you made my day! (And for what it's worth, I think you are a genius too! Your posts are always so well-written; it's obvious you have good command of the English language.)

I love my yoga pants because I can wear them on workouts, lounging, or even (*gasp*) church! Seriously, no one can tell they aren't dress-up pants!

Anonymous said...

I love wearing sweats, as soon as I get home I get changed out of my work clothes.
Great Eats!

Erica said...

Hey! That is so exciting that your break is so close. Sounds like you have a fun trip planned!

I am looking forward to moving into my house and selling my old house (cannot wait!)

Food looks great- love the ellie inspired tato salad!

Relaxation uniform= scrub pants my mom gave me (shes a nurse) and a jcrew tank top

Anonymous said...

I only wear my yoga pants to the rink or to the gym. If I'm going to lounge around the house, I'm in my pj bottoms.

Must make blended cereal now!

Anonymous said...

Banana fingers sounds like an AWESOME idea!

That banana blender cereal always looks so good I must try and make that soon!

Anonymous said...

I don't even own any yoga pants but I want to buy some so badly!! They look so comfy

I'm looking forward to this weekend...and making some of that cereal pudding!

A Bikini Diary said...

YUMMY banana idea!!!!!!! :)

Olga said...

I had the same TJs Butternut Squash soup today! AH!

And I hear you on spring break...that's what I'm looking forward to even though mine is in THREE weeks, ahhhh. I can't wait!

good luck with your work, you're almost there!

fleur said...

Looking forward to London.
Relaxing uniform is yoga pants with out a doubt.

Anonymous said...

Nice taste in music! I am looking forward to going on a little weekend excursion next Friday - it'll be funsies!

I second VG - Giada will never steer you wrong in the Italian foods department! I love those banana phalanges :)

I don't live in either fleece pants from Gap or my VS PINK PJ pants.

Anonymous said...

Love JACK! He's all over my iPod, which isn't great sometimes since he's not really run worthy.


I'm trying the blended cereal pudding tomorrow, for real.

I live in my yoga pants. Love them.

Anonymous said...

Fave: BANANA FINGERS!
I like yoga pizzles for when I'm out and about, you know - but when I'm home, I prefer to wear PJ pants. Baggy ones! They make me feel tiny! ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to yoga teacher training in 2 weeks :)

I pretty much live in yoga clothing. I love my stretchy pants. I very rarely wear normal pants, but my yoga gear is all very cute!

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

banana fingers!!! HOW CUTE!!!!
def going to try that tomorrow morning :)

Meg said...

Love all your eats, especially the banana fingers!

ChickPea said...

VeggieGirl: Thanks for the Giada suggestion--she seems like she might have know what a good pesto taste like;)
CCV: Thanks! Sometimes I worry that my posts are a little incoherent/rambling. I appreciate the reassurance! I might have to try the yoga pants at church idea...
Danielle: Sweats are good at any time of day, I always say.
Erica: Good luck in your move! I totally agree about scrub pants--my sister is a nurse, and I always try to steal her comfy (and cute!) scrubs.
Marianne: The blended cereal is a guaranteed winner:)
Vegan Nurse: Thanks! Let me know if you try them!
Shelby: I hear ya on the weekend--it couldn't come soon enough!
Jen: Thanks!
Olga: We must be on the same soup-wavelength. What did you think of it?
Flower: Yoga pants seem to be the favorite around here...
K: Haha, your phalanges comment made me laugh out loud. Yes, I am an anatomy dork.
Sarah: I agree--"Staple It Together" and "Banana Pancakes" aren't exactly great for runs. Still love him though!
Erin: Haha, you're so right about PJ pants--I feel like they swallow me whole they're so large.
Maggie: How exciting! I'd love to try yoga one of these days--maybe you can teach me?!
VeganOnStage: Yay! Let me know how you like them!
Meg: Thanks!