Friday, January 23, 2009

On Pondering Peanut Butter

As I am sure you all are aware, peanut butter has been a prominent topic in the news lately. Due to a Salmonella outbreak, several companies are issuing recalls for peanut-containing food products, ranging from cookies to dog food. (For a full list of recalled products, click here).

As an avid lover all things peanut-butter, this news saddens me. After checking and double-checking, I have come to realize that I have a PB Cookie Larabar and a few Clif minis that must be discarded. I have held onto these tainted goods for the past few days for the following reasons: 1) I already ate several of the other PB Clif minis from the same box and did not suffer any adverse side effects, and 2) I keep reading about fellow bloggers who have taken the risk of eating the allegedly contaminated products and survived with no harm done. What do you think? Is it worth the risk to hold onto these peanutty pleasures? I'll probably hoard them for a few more days, in case the folks at Larabar and Clif magically decide to cancel their respective recalls. Otherwise, they'll find a new home in the trash.
My peanut butter dilemma continues, this time due to product unavailability. Many of you are lucky enough to regularly enjoy the wonders of Peanut Butter & Co.'s products. I have no problem locating them in Birmingham, but they have proven to be much more evasive here in Durham. Not at Whole Foods, SuperTarget, or WalMart. Sheesh. Any ideas on where to purchase these jars of decadence?

Alright, now that I have bored you with my peanut butter obsessing, let's get onto the grub:

Wednesday
Dinner was at an on-campus eatery (The Loop), where I ordered my continuing favorite, the Crunchy Broccoli Salad. Fortunately, this one had plenty of walnuts:) I also had a side of fruit.
Despite all that roughage and fibrous fruit, I was still hungry when I got home, so I made a quick grilled two-hummus-mozzarella sandwich. For the hummus, I used the last of my tomato basil, plus a scoop of traditional hummus. For the bread, I used a few slices of light 100% Whole Wheat, a generous gift from Rena at Arnold Bakeries. While I am not trying to lose weight, these reduced-kcalorie slices come in handy when you just want a small sandwich or toast and PB for a light snack. Look for a product review in the future...
The smoothie of the night consisted of one of my favorite but often ignored combos: blueberry-banana. Delicious.
Thursday
I made another Banana Blender concoction yesterday morning, this time with GoLean and almonds. Using GoLean really improves the pudding-like texture. Observe:
For lunch, I had to evaluate another on-campus eatery for the dining committee. I ordered Garlic Veggies and Tofu with the sauce on the side. I also picked up some awesomely ripe melon. Here it is all boxed up:
But, I decided to prettify it for you and add some cashews and crackers to the mix.
Before heading out to a church group meeting, I scarfed down some peanut butter noodles with zucchini, salad, and pineapple.
I was feeling indulgent again last night: the shake included chocolate rice protein, dark cocoa powder, banana, strawberries, coconut, soymilk, and dairy-free chocolate chips. I was really sad when I reached the bottom of my glass.
Friday
Vegan banana pancakes were on the menu this morning. I enjoyed them with almonds and spiced pumpkin.
I headed out to Whole Foods, and picked up some good loot:
Highlights include a new jar of Sunbutter, Peanut Butter Pows, and blood oranges. Yum.

Next up on the agenda was an afternoon of tutoring. I packed a quick lunch before running out the door: Corn Thins with hummus, carrots, trail mix (pepitas + cranberries), and an apple.
For dinner, I used up some white beans by making a white bean stuffing/dressing with whole wheat bread, white beans, garlic, pecans, oregano, basil, and S + P. I also had some broccoli, salad with Annie's Raspberry Vinaigrette, and leftover melon.
This post is getting monstrous! Before I go, check out what finally came in the mail yesterday:
Ta-ta for now!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

CUUUTE puffer jacket :D!! Ok..as for the PB mayhem- I ate a larabar yesterday AM...and I'm still alive to tell the tale. I've definitely seen other bloggies eating them..and IMHO, I think companies like Clif and Larabar use higher end products, hence their higher prices. Just my opinion, partly b/c I'm a starving grad and didn't wanna toss them :D

Anonymous said...

Pancakes, cereal, smoothies, sammiches, your meals are just too good!!!

Love the puffy coat, it looks so warm =)

Erica said...

Cute new coat! Love it.

I think its better safe than sorry with the PB products. Most of the companies are offering $$ or coupons back if you write in.

PB&CO as a store locator on their websites: http://www.ilovepeanutbutter.com/storefinder.html
Doesn't look like theres must near you :(

Anonymous said...

I So love all of those black & white dishes you have - they are awesome! And the chocolate smoothies from Thursday night? Yes please! Still need to get around to trying that blender cereal deal. Maybe this weekend, since I'm out of oats!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Check out my new Facebook photo album - you'll bee what happened to my PB Cookie Larabars.

Such a lovely new coat!!

***Never fear!! You'll be indulging in some PB&Co. products soon (**hint hint**)

Anonymous said...

I about cried when I had to throw out my PB larabars.. so sad!

Better safe than sorry, though.

I LOVE Peanut Butter Pows.. they are great! Lovin' all your meals... you eat great!

I LOVE your puffer coat. Very cute!

Mel said...

ahh, i LOVE PB & Co. I get mine at Whole Foods, I'm surprised they don't have it at yours! LOVE the coat, so adorable :-) have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

Fun freebies to try :) That sammy sounds pretty awesome!

NICE texture on the blender cereal! I'd be sad reaching the end of that indulgent smoothie too :( LOVE the stuffing!!

CUTE puffer, girl! White is so chic :)

For the recall, my motto is what doesn't kill you makes you stronger - eat the PB! Just please don't die because I would miss my sister from another mister :(

OH and YES my title was a tiny reference to Tommy Boy! You are so good!

Anonymous said...

Love the jacket!!!
Blended Kashi? hmm, interesting!
I bought Sunbutter, too! The crunchy kind- no PB recall for me. Although, I did eat a PB cookie Luna bar... & I feel sick. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, because I threw away the wrapper w/o looking at the possibly-tainted date! Soo, I don't know what to tell ya there!
Lovin' the smoothies- stay warm! ha!

candycane! said...

I would chance the PB - love it waaaaay to much. I'm just staying away from Keeblers. As for the PB, I think I found some at Harris Teeters. I can't find a place with ALL of the amazing flavors everyone else posts about- starting to consider ordering it :)

ChickPea said...

CarolineBee: Hmm, I still have my bars, but I am very close to giving in and just eating them. I agree that Larabar and Clif are likely not affected by this whole fiasco.
Shelby: Thanks!
Erica: Hmm I will look into getting refunds...that would make me feel a little better...
Bummer about the PB&Co!
Marianne: The plates are from Target--dunno if you have those in Canada or not. Anyway, the banana blender cereal is awesome--the recipe is from CCV.
VeggieGirl: Haha! Tainted love, indeed!
You don't need to send me anything! You already were so kind to send me those wonderful Larabars!
VeganNurse: Have you ever tried any of the other WF cereals? I notice they have some other fun kids' varieties that look tasty.
Mel: Well, my WF here is rather small and has limited selection, although I would be perfectly happy if they devoted half the store to nut butters!
K: Haha, I'm glad you appreciate texture as much as I do!
Loved the Tommy Boy reference:)
OrangePop: I've never tried the crunchy Sunbutter, but I am very much a creamy girl, so I don't know if I'll try that kind. I hope you feel better!
GymRat: I'm with you on the PB & Co...I am very close to ordering some since I am so jealous of all the other bloggers who have access to them! They're just so pricey!