Wednesday, January 7, 2009

You've Got a Friend in Me

These past few days have been all about reuniting with friends. Study abroad programs are quite popular at Duke, so a large percentage of the junior class has not been on campus since last May. Hence, I hadn't seen some of my buddies for 8 months! Yikes! I've been thoroughly enjoying my run-ins with pals from the past all day; reconnecting with friends always lifts my mood.

I have received some fun Christmas presents from my friends while back at Duke. They know me so well--I received plenty of dishes, a cookbook, and a signed Duke basketball poster with a cute green bracelet. Thanks, friends!
While we're on the topic of friends, I just want to mention that one of my favorite aspects of the blog world is the support and friendship I have found in readers and fellow bloggers. Thanks for making my life a little brighter with your comments and companionship!

My eats have been a tad boring lately due to my super-busy schedule. Here's a look at what I've been munching:

Monday
I ended my busy day of travel in the typical way: with a large, refreshing smoothie. I combined unsweetened vanilla Spirutein (from Sarah) with strawberries, banana, soymilk, and cashew granola. Delish.
Tuesday
Yesterday morning, I had about an hour to eat breakfast, shower, and primp before recruitment activities began again. Thus, a very easy breakfast: mango-rice milk smoothie with coconut and toast with cashew butter.
I packed a lunch to nibble on between parties: hummus sandwich, trail mix made up of pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries, and a big honkin' apple.
I also tossed this bar into my bag at the last second. I think eventually I will have sampled every single "chocolate brownie" flavored bar on the market. I love me some chocolate.
For dinner, I headed out to Elmo's Diner again with some buds. I ordered the exact same things as I did on this occasion, so no pictures. Just as delicious as ever:)

The smoothie of the evening used yet another Spirutein packet given to me by Sarah; this flavor is called "Nutty Berry Burst." I combined it with soymilk, strawberries, and banana. I really enjoyed it due to its very prominent pistachio flavor. YUM!
Wednesday
I kept it simple this morning so as to have plenty of time to get to my classes (first of the semester!). I had a bowl of spelt flakes with rice milk, banana, wheat germ, and almonds. Yet another deluxe cereal bowl, yet another tasty breakfast.
I will be busy with basketball games and more sorority activities later in the day. I keep all my activities straight with my Franklin Covey planner (mine is red with polka dots) and this new wall calendar. How do you keep your life organized?

Be back soon!

13 comments:

Anon said...

study abroad is huge at BC too junior year so i haven't seen some of my galzzzz in so long :( love the mango/rice milk combo - sounds delicious! i stay organized with Google Calendar -- i'm hoping to get a blackberry soon though instead ;)

lauren said...

I stay organized with my franklin covery organizer too, but i need the 2009 insert asap!

K from ksgoodeats said...

What great gifts from your friends! I love the square plates in the 2nd picture - CUTE!!

I agree - blog friends are one of the BEST parts of blogging :)

Thanks for the info on the "chicken." The breading was the best part of eating the real thing anyway!

Hope your first day went alright! Chic binder and love the food calendar :D I'm a big list maker and planner keeper, otherwise I may just pull my hair out!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hooray for reuniting with great friends and for all those goodies (both edible and inedible)!! :-)

Have fun with your activities!!

I organize everything with my daily to-do list (which I handwrite - I know, I'm old-fashioned).

Erica said...

I LOVE those blue and white dishes- they are gorgeous! What fun/special gifts. How is "recruitment" going? I use to dread those long days!

Anonymous said...

I am so organized, I always write down a to-do list. Or in my school planner.

haha my little brothers are obsessed with Toy Story so now I have that song stuck in my head.

Anonymous said...

Your new blue and white dishes are really great. But I absolutely love your black and white ones! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow, great new plates! I think you and I share a similar love for dishes. And our friends know us well - my friend got me blogworthy gifts, too! Also, I am definitely thankful that I "know" you in the blogging world - you rock!

To answer your question on my blog, I got my job by being in the right place at the right time. The company was looking for part-time help at my career fair and I happened to have a schedule that worked well with them, so after a brief interview we were ready to go!

I recently got some of those Pure bars. I haven't tried them yet, but like you, have tried many a chocolate brownie bar and never came across one I didn't like ;o)

I love your planner and calendar. I have one of each, too. I love looking at my activities because it makes me feel as though I have a better handle on everything.

Sophia Lee said...

cool dishes! I ADORE these kinds of things too!
wow pistachio flavored drink...sounds sooooo tempting!

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for vegetarian blogs so I hope you don't mind that I added you to my blog roll.

Kristen's Raw said...

Those are awesome gifts!!! Terrific friends you have :)

I don't know how I survived before getting my Blackberry.

Cheers,
Kristen

ChickPea said...

Andrea: Mango is a recent discovery of mine--let me know if you have any recipe ideas! I love Google calendar as well.
Lauren: Haha--I am always behind on getting those inserts!
K: Yet another commonality between you and me--I LOVE lists.
VeggieGirl: It wasn't until I discovered the Google ToDo that I banished my handwritten lists. Both work well:)
Erica: I am SO psyched about using those blue and white dishes...any ideas on what foods would be suited for them?
Shelby: Haha, thanks for picking up on the TS reference!
Marianne: I got the black-white ones from Target, of all places!
EatingBender: Yay! I love dishes. I could easily spend hours in places like Pier One just looking at all the dishes!
I need to find a job fair like yours ASAP!
Burp: Pistachios in any form are A OK in my book!
Marissa: Thanks so much for adding me! I look forward to getting to know you!
Kristen's Raw: I am so jealous of your Blackberry!

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat said...

Hey girl! Glad you are enjoying the Spirutein, I can't believe how many flavors there were to choose from ;-) Hope you get some rest!