Monday, January 19, 2009

Procrastination via Organization

Like many of you, I am lucky enough to have today off, in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday. Many of peers are studiously using this extra day off as an opportunity to catch up on work and prepare for the academic rigors of the weeks ahead. But I'm not. Aside from sleeping in and completing a few minor assignments, I decided it would be a much better use of time to organize my pantry! Exhibit A:
I grew tired of having a cupboard full of miscellaneous bags and chip clips to store my nuts and dried fruit, so I invested in a few storage containers. Now my snacks will be fresh, and my cupboard will be tidy. I derive far too much enjoyment from kitchen organization. How do you keep your cupboards neat?

Anyway, here's what I've been munching since Friday's post:

Friday
I was just itching to use some of new frozen blueberries, so I threw them in the blender along with some strawberries, soymilk, and Nutribody protein.
Saturday
I awoke to another frigid morning, so I made sure to warm myself up after my workout with a hot breakfast. I poured heated rice milk over a few crumbled Weetabix biscuits; I had an apple with almond butter as well.
Almost immediately afterward, I headed out to the Duke basketball game, where we were once again victorious:)
I was starving when I returned to the apartment, so I relied on some freezer goodies, namely an Amy's Texas burger. I slapped that on some bread with salsa and served it alongside a salad with pepitas and a few grapes.
Then it was off to the mall...where I was completely unsuccessful at finding a puffer coat. Instead I ordered this one online when I got home. What do you think? Anyway, I made a quick dinner before a viewing of Father of the Bride with my friends: black beans, peppers, and avocado in a whole grain pita, along with zucchini and a couple clementines.
The shake of the evening was creamy and delicious: frozen banana with chocolate rice protein, soy milk, non-dairy ice cream, and a dusting of cocoa powder. YUM.
Sunday
I made my usual Sunday morning oatmeal, this time with applesauce, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cashews.
After chapel and a little studying, I made a simple lunch: black beans and onions (with a few spices) atop a bed of spinach, a baked sweet potato, and a dish of peaches with wheat germ and pecans.
By the time I got to eat dinner, I was famished again. I came up with an impromptu version of one of my mom's old dishes: mashed potatoes with ham & cheese. I didn't have any "veggie" ham on hand, so I substituted TVP. Also in the mix is dill and garlic. Delish. On the side, I had brussels sprouts, salad with Woodstock dressing, and a few grapes.
The shake took a decidedly decadent note last night, as I combined a frozen banana, dark cocoa powder, chocolate rice protein, soymilk, strawberries, coconut, and dairy-free chocolate chips (I think that's everything...). Fabulous combination!
Monday
I must be on a choco-nana kick, because I used the same combination for breakfast in my oatmeal: oats, dark cocoa powder, banana, cinnamon, and PB. I felt like I was eating brownie batter for breakfast!
You all must get really tired of seeing this meal every post, but I made another tofu scramble for lunch. It's just so delicious and easy! I combined silken tofu with tahini, soy sauce, minced garlic, ginger, turmeric, and sliced zucchini and served it with toast and a salad with clementines. Perfection.
Speaking of repetitive meals, I am a little bored with my eats lately. How do you get out of your dietary ruts? Do you have any favorite cooking websites? Recipe suggestions are always welcome!

Enjoy your Monday!

15 comments:

Erica said...

Nice use of time! Your cabinet looks awesome! I am super jealous as mine is a total mess! The chocolatey oats look amazing! I need to do that soon!

Nicole said...

I have been in such a food rut that I have been going out to almost every meal, besides breakfast! It's hurting my wallet so badly.

I can't wait to see the suggestions.

Anonymous said...

1. The chocolate/coconut shake of decadence and those chocolate oats are making me drool. I see chocolate oats in my future (aka - tomorrow for breakfast).

2. Do you want to organize my cupboards as well? Because they look like a bomb exploded in there. I even have containers, but not enough for all the stuff I accumulate.

Anonymous said...

Tofu Scramble! YUM! And I love those oats!

You've inspired me so much to organize my cabinets! I think I will go try your idea out now!

Anonymous said...

your oatmeals look so yum! how much oats do you use in yours?? sometimes i seriously have no clue how much i should really put in mine... =/

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

faaaaabulous organization and eats!! I stalk Food Network for food/meal ideas :-D

fleur said...

WOAH! Those chocolate oats are so so decedant LOL

K from ksgoodeats said...

Nice organizational skills, lady :)

Cuuuuuute coat! Please tell me you got it in pink?!

For an impromptu dinner, that looks pretty delicious!

I try so hard to get our of ruts but I literally crave the same things over and over - when you find the solution let me know!

Oh and I found your lentil dip today, it is absolutely fabulous!

Cat said...

Hi! First time poster, long time reader :) One of my current favorite meals involves lentils. For a scrumptious meal, that's definitely good during the winter time, is Mexican Lentils. I don't know if you've tried it yet but here's a recipe!

1 cup lentils, uncooked
1 cup corn, frozen or fresh
1 cup tomato sauce
1 onion, chopped
Mexican seasonings to taste (crushed red chili peppers, garlic, & dill)

Boil lentils in 2 cups of water for 30 minutes & drain. Combine remaining ingredients & simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.

I put a big heaping of Mexican lentils over a big heaping of spinach & romaine to give it an extra boost :)

Kimberly said...

Holy moly, the brownie batter oats look amazing!! I've broken my food ruts by living near one of Brooklyn's most comprehensive produce markets-- I stop in after work several times a week, and instead of gravitating towards the same faves, I make sure to purchase different fruits/veggies each visit.

Anonymous said...

Great job organizing! I love the way you put everything into containers like that. It makes it so much easier and no more spills out of plastic bags!

So jealous that you get to go to Duke basketball games. Northwestern games...not quite the same ;o)

I absolutely LOVE that coat!! I actually have one that looks a lot like it in blue!

Great eats - especially those dark brown chocolate oats! Yum!

HangryPants said...

Sometimes when I am in a food rut, I just look back at the recipes I have saved (wherever that may be) and try to find a few new things to make that way. Usually I find something that will get be excited to cook!

As for my cabinets, yeah I am not that great at that. One thing I did was get a big plastic storage container and put all my lose bags of beans, lentils, rice, etc, in that one container.

Sophia Lee said...

to get out of the food rut...go OUT and eat! that's what I do, I try a new dish in a restaurant, and if I like it, I recreate it in my kitchen!
I LOVE that pic of the chocolate oatmeal!

Erica said...

I am going to check the ingredient list on the chips for you when I get home! Its not up on the Hershey's site!

ChickPea said...

Erica: Thanks! The chocolatey oats are a really tasty way to start the day!
Nicole: Yep, eating out can be killer for the budget. I've had to cut back myself!
Marianne: Glad you got a chance to try some of my ideas--I'm so flattered!
I will def come organize your cabinets--I enjoy it for some odd reason!
Shelby: Happy organizing!
BlueSkyWorld: I use 1/2 cup, mostly bc that's the serving size on the package!
VeggieGirl: I am a tad FoodNetwork obsessed myself...love Rachael and Giada:)
Flower: You should try them!
K: Glad you like the coat...I actually got it in white since I figured I have far too many bright colored coats already. I need a neutral!
Cat: Thanks for commenting! That recipe sounds awesome--I need to pick up some lentils ASAP!
Kimberly: Ah, I wish I had the luxury of living near such fab markets. Maybe someday.
EatingBender: I actually was watching a highlight reel from the NU game the other day--there were some sweet plays in there!
Hangry: Thanks for the suggestions!
Burp: THat's an excellent way to get out of a food rut--I love recreating restaurant faves!
Erica: Thanks so much!!