Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wintry Wonders

Check out what I found outside my window yesterday morning:
Yes, like any good Southern girl, I whipped out my camera as soon as I realized that the novelty of snow had arrived here in North Carolina. Once I got to campus, I continued my photo shoot at various destinations in the Gothic winter wonderland:
The pristine appearance of the snow has now degraded, however, as the campus is now covered in mounds of icy, gray sludge. OK, I'm ready for spring now.

With all this chilly weather, I've been eating nothing but warm eats (with the exception of my smoothies, of course). Enjoy:

Monday
After my dining meeting (at which we sampled salads from here) I was still hungry for a more substantial evening meal. I combined white beans, green beans, tomato sauce, garlic, and oregano for a tasty Italian skillet dish; that's couscous and applesauce with peanuts on the side.
For my shake, I made another strawberry dream: strawberries, non-dairy ice cream, soymilk, and Nutribody protein.
Tuesday
Although all I wanted to do was to go play in the snow, I first prepared myself a waffle tower breakfast: waffles topped with cinnamon-spiked plain yogurt, blueberries, and almonds.
For lunch, I made a simple tofu salad with my favorite sweet-dill-agave dressing with a few cranberries mixed in. I enjoyed it atop a Rudi's English muffin and served alongside a salad with pecans and a few grapes. After enjoying the day's Inauguration coverage, I settled in for an Indian-inspired meal. I made a curry out of kidney beans, onions, and assorted spices and served it alongside pita bread, green beans, salad with Woodstock dressing, and pineapple.
My smoothie last night was delicious: banana, peaches, soymilk, Nutribody protein, and the last of my ginger granola made for a delectable evening snack.
Wednesday
My morning class was cancelled this morning, so I enjoyed a leisurely breakfast this morning. I devoted this extra time to Banana-Tofu French toast...it never gets old. I topped this batch with cashews and spiced pumpkin. PS Is anyone else as fascinated by Michelle Obama as I am? I really liked this article.
Today's lunch included a Waldorf salad (apple, vegan mayo, almonds, and dried currants) along with a white bean dip and crackers.
I am off to (perhaps) get some work done. What are you up to this evening?

Ciao for now.

16 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I swear our campuses look EXACTLY the same - buildings, weather, and all!! Haha.

**This evening = My family and I will be watching the highly-anticipated season premiere of LOST!!! :-)

Erica said...

whoa! I can't believe ya'll got that much snow! We got flurries in Charleston and people were freaking haha. Your beautiful waffles make me want some! Hope you have a great night

Anonymous said...

I hate snow but the photos are GORGEOUS!

LOVE the waffle tower, pita meal, and french toast!

Ohh and those crackers look delish, what brand are they?

K from ksgoodeats said...

Your campus is so pretty! I'm way jeal :(

I adore Michelle Obama! She's one of my new idols. Such a classy woman!

Fabulous eats as always my dearest!

I, like Miss VeggieGirl, am tuning into Lost tonight!!! - I mean...I guess since it's on... ;)

Anonymous said...

Love the snow! I wish we had some.

Also love the french toast - it's my favourite thing to order when I go out for breakfast :D

Whitney said...

I love the Obamas! My feelings on Michelle's attire yesterday is still questionable, but that trivial stuff aside from that I think she's awesome.

I'm so jealous of your snow!

Tonight I'm taking it easy, spending some time on homework/study session and then later relaxing with my bf!

Laura said...

I love the Gothic winter wonderland. :) My friend lives in Raleigh and said she stayed home from work yesterday because her streets were covered in snow. Enjoy it while you can!

I don't know a lot about Michelle Obama, other than a little about her previous law experience. But, I LOVE that we have a modern President and First Lady. I read that the girls' coats yesterday were from J Crew. I thought that was pretty cool too.

Anonymous said...

BEAUUUUTIFUL!!! omg snow play day :D No lost for me, i never got into it, too many characters :D I just got back from dance it's sleepy time!

fleur said...

Those snow pictures are stunning

A Bikini Diary said...

LOVE the campus pics!!! SNOW, wow, how I would actually love some of that! :)

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are gorgeous! Your green bean concoction looks really good. I love green beans, but sometimes I want something a little different.

Mel said...

holy crap, that french toast looks freaking awesome! beautiful pictures of the snow. looks like the snow has kind of died down here in ohio and has passed down into the south, weird?

Erica said...

Hey girl! The chips do have partially hydrogenated oils in them :(

ChickPea said...

VeggieGirl: I've never seen John Carroll's campus, actually--I might just have to do a Google image search:)
I hope LOST was a good one!
Erica: People were pretty freaked out here as well--Northerners must think we're such wimps!
Thanks for looking into the chips' ingredients for me!
Shelby: I'm with you on that one--it's pretty, but I'd rather it not stick around too long! The crackers are by Mr. Krispers (I think). I'll do a review soon.
K: No need to be jeal...now the snow has overstayed its welcome--I'm ready for warm weather again!
Michelle is one of my role models too--so smart and articulate.
Marianne: Ya know, I don't think I have ordered French toast in a restaurant for over ten years. I need to get on that!
Whitney: Haha, I agree--I'm not so sure about her fashion sense yet either. Very variable.
Laura: That's a neat little tid bit about the JCrew coats. I love learning about the first family!
Caroline: I never got into Lost either; I'm not ruling out the possibility though:) I hope you got some rest!
Jen: Please, DO take some. I am quite tired of snow now.
Katie: Glad you like the Italian concoction. So often I just have straight up green beans as a side dish that it's nice to incorporate it into a dish sometimes.
Mel: Odd reversal of weather patterns. I'm not sure I like it! Enjoy your warmer weather!

SB Peace said...

mmmm!
Look at that wonderland! It's like a postcard!
Yes, Michelle Obama is so classy & beautiful & intelligent &... ah! awesome!
I love your containers of food, haha, so organized & cute!
Lovely eats, per usual! Happy weekend!
p.s. do you eat your smoothies with a spoon, because of the toppings, or straw?

ChickPea said...

SBPeace: Haha thanks for all your kind words! As for the smoothie eating method, I definitely use a spoon--I don't think I have a straw that would be powerful/large enough!